Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sharing His Kingdom






I got an email today from a friend. She wrote “I am doing good, just in awe of the life you are living. Still do not think I could, especially the physical part, I would have to take up an exercise program. I do feel however that when my job ends here I will move towards the life that is more fulfilling than the one I am leading now. “

It has been running through my spirit all day. What DOES it take to serve God? I love what I am doing, but am I making my friend and others think if you can’t leave the country and hike a mountain you are not significant to the Kingdom of God?

We did hike a mountain, or some very large hills. I think of it dying my way up rather than making my way up the mountain. We were motivated- we had loads of supplies to bring to three widows whose husbands were killed for preaching the gospel. We also had a campaign planned in the church- we brought puppets, and we brought hope. We are taking His Kingdom to the people,” I thought.

We made our way up there and we prayed for the widows, who are still active in the church. Then we made our way to the church. I sat down under a tree near the shade-grown coffee next to a lady and tried to speak with her- I know about 5 words in Tzletal and I was determined to use them all. Your blouse is beautiful, “ I said. She smiled and said “Thank you.” “Did you embroider it?” She nodded. “How long does it take to make a blouse like this? “ Three months,” she answered. I was stunned “Three months? Not three weeks?” She laughed, and we counted up to 90 together…90 days. I knew they sold the blouses when they went down the mountain for $150 pesos- about $13. A while later I was doing something else and she came back to me with a translator.. He told me she wanted to run home, two hills away, and put on her old blouse so she could give me hers- I said "No, no thank you but no, I can’t let her do that!" Through the translator she explained "You don't understand, I have this one and one other! I have two! Who needs two blouses? I want to give this one to you!”

A couple of night later we were ministering to the Lacandone Indians. It was late and there was a woman sitting in front of us who had two little ones. One was wrapped up in her shawl; the other was on her lap. She kept moving like she was uncomfortable. Missy, who came down with the Lubbock group, was sitting next to me and she asked “Do you think she would give me her baby to hold?” “I whispered back “Probably not.” A couple of minutes later I thought “Why not ask her?” I stood and leaned over her and said “She wants to help with your baby, would that be ok?” She nodded gratefully, and Missy took her baby. Soon the invitation came, and I had to leave the area to minister to women who had come forward. When I went back to our seat I found Missy deep in prayer for the baby- and his Mom standing up front with a counselor! When she came back I hugged her and asked “Why did you go up front?” She smiled shyly. “Did you accept the Lord as your Savior?” She nodded “Yes, yes, I did. I’m so happy.”

What does it take to bring the Kingdom to someone? Sometimes it takes leaving your home. And dying your way up a mountain, yes.

But others?

Other times it means giving away your blouse to a stranger because you have two.

Or holding a baby for someone so that she can be free to make a decision that will change her life.

You don’t have to travel the world, or hike, or get sweaty or go deal with snakes to take the Kingdom to others. The Bible- the absolute word on His Kingdom- says “Blessed are the poor in spirit (the humble, who rate themselves insignificant), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven!”

My answer to my friend who wrote me and to you who are thinking, “ I love what she’s doing, but I could never do that!” is: You don’t have to do! Share His word, share His Kingdom, share His love with everyone you know wherever you are- start where you are, and keep going! “When we offer ourselves as instruments for God’s purpose, we create opportunities for others to experience God through us.”* There is no feeling like that in the world.

I’m wondering…how can you make yourself available to His Kingdom this very day, right where you are?

Who can you touch in Jesus’ name?

Whose baby can YOU hold?




*e.r.mcmanus.

4 comments:

  1. So very true, Bonnie. I believe we are all called to serve God but the paths are all very different ones. Anytime we are of service to one another, we have served God. We get hung up thinking we have to do something "big" but forget there is nothing small in being of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I have been thinking about. If we can't even serve God right where we are, how can we serve Him anywhere else?
    I ask myself all the time. What am I doing today that counts for Him? How can I reach out to someone today?
    We waste so much time, waiting for the right time that we miss a lot of time He wanted us to use for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori and Loraine.... it IS all about serving Him wherever we are! You all said it in WAY less words than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that God wants to use me each day. My attitude gets in the way sometimes. Every day is a new opportunity to touch someone with the Love Jesus has given us. I am putting that in my frontal lobe and letting everything filter through Him!

    ReplyDelete