Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tales from other places...


Cuba….  
Margarita Looking out over Havana
I remember many years ago, probably around 1965, my parents, my brother and I were walking on the beach, in the evening in the state of Veracruz where we lived. As it began to get dark my dad picked me up and pointed toward the northeast, over the water,  and said “Over there is a little island. They sure are in trouble. I pray for them every day.”  “What’s wrong?” I asked. “They need Jesus, “he said. Like all of us- they need Jesus.  Lord willing, before I die, I want to take Jesus to Cuba.”

He was never able to do that. But he prayed for Cuba frequently and I believe that prayer never left his heart.And I... I'm the one who got to go! Such unmerited, undeserved favor!

Trash pick up
I can hardly believe I had the privilege of being there, of getting to know so many people and yes, of sharing Jesus with the people of Cuba.  I want to tell you some of the stories. They won’t be political. They will just be people-stories. Stories of what Christ has done in the lives of people who feel the word has forgotten them.

But God… God has not abandoned them!
We honored our promise to the US to not be tourists- the last day, of training, we got to briefly drive by a beach and we got to take a quick look...
I’m sharing Cuba pictures with you… next I’ll share some stories.

3 comments:

  1. Excited to read the upcoming stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I think that this might be the most amazing part of your opportunity to go to Cuba. I had no idea that the prayer originated with your dad. Wow! As I lay here in bed with a lump in my throat and a shout unto God wanting to escape from my lips, all I can say is PRAISE OUR ALMIGHTY GOD! As always, thanks for being used to encourage so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lori- Thanks for staying with me! :) @Greg: I know... I am in awe of how He answers prayer! My Dad may have thought that particular prayer went unanswered... but God sent me in his place. Another thing that this makes me aware of: The legacy we leave our children! I get to live and walk in this miracle in great part because of the prayers of my parents! Does that make you want to change how you pray for yours? It does me!!

    ReplyDelete